A Catalogue of Free/Open Source Software for Translators
A portable application suite for translators: 100% free/open-source software.
List of Tools
PortableCAT 2013 includes the following tools:
- 7-Zip: file archiver
- AntRenamer: advanced file/folder renaming utility
- Ditto: clipboard manager and extender
- Texter: text substitution utility
- FileZilla: FTP client
- KeePass: password manager
- TES: terminology extraction suite
- GoldenDict: resource lookup
- LanguageTool: language checker
- LF Aligner: text alignment
- Notepad-plus-plus: advanced text editor
- Okapi tools: Rainbow, Ratel, CheckMate, Tikal
- OmegaT: translation environment
- Sumatra: PDF viewer
- PDFtk portable: split, collate, watermark and password protect PDF documents
- TextSTAT: text analysis
- TMXValidator: TMX validation
- XLIFFChecker: XLIFF validation
- DiffPdf: compare PDFs textually and visually
- TaskCoach: project management
- VietOCR: optical character recognition
- Aegisub: subtitle editor
- grepWin: regex-based search and replace
- TinyTask: simple macro record/playback
To use it on Windows-based machines:
- Download the zip file (PortableCAT2013.zip 447.7 MB; decompressed: ≈ 800 MB).
- Unzip to the desired location (root folder of hard drive or USB stick: e.g. C:\PortableCAT or E:\PortableCAT).
- Open the main folder and run PortableCat.exe.
- The application launcher will start, displaying a menu and placing a black-cat icon in the system tray. This menu can then be accessed at any time by pressing Alt+C.
For Java-based applications to work, the Java Runtime Environment (1.6+) must be installed on the host computer.
Please note: Although most of the tools included in PortableCAT will start in the default language of your operating system, the application launcher is preconfigured to start in English. To use it in a different language, reconfigure it before starting it by opening the file ‘Asuite.xml’ in a text editor. Search for the <Language> tag and replace the current language with the language of your choice (check available languages in the ‘Lang’ subfolder). Save the changes and start the application launcher (PortableCAT.exe).
February 19, 2013
PortableCAT 2013 is now available for download. This version, now hosted at Mega.co.nz, includes updated versions of most of the tools and some new utilities:
- VietOCR (optical character recognition)
- Aegisub (subtitle editor)
- grepWin (regex-based search and replace)
- TinyTask (simple macro record/playback)
December 6, 2012
PortableCAT2012.12 is now available for download. Due to space limitations at the new hosting site (Box.net), LibreOffice, Firefox and WinMerge have been removed from this version, but they can be easily downloaded and installed from PortableApps.com.
October 31, 2012
PortableCAT2012.10 includes updated versions of OmegaT (2.6.1_1 w/ LanguageTool, tokenizers, scripting and Okapi filters plugins), Okapi apps (M18), LF Aligner (3.0) and other utilities.
- Includes LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.
- Removed the GIMP and SimpleInvoices.
- Includes link to PortableApps directory.
May 2, 2012
PortableCAT 2012 [link removed] now includes updated versions of OmegaT (2.5.3 w/ LanguageTool and Okapi filters plugins), Okapi apps (M16), and Terminology Extraction Suite (TES, formerly known as LexTerm).
January 19, 2012
PortableCAT 2012 is now available for download: [Link removed] (380 MB; decompressed: ≈ 800 MB).
October 25, 2011
PortableCAT 2011 release candidate 2 (English version) is now available for download: [Link removed] (450 MB; decompressed: 1 GB).
July 20, 2011
PortableCAT 2011 release candidate 1 (English version) is ready for testing! [Link removed] Feedback wanted!
Pincho - December 2010: PortableCAT2010.zip [Link removed] (260 MB; decompressed: 550 MB).
PortableCAT 2009 (197 MB): Based on ASuite.
PortableCAT 2008 (100 MB): Based on PStart.
|powered by||Recent comments|